[Spridgets] Top Gear BS

Andrew Payne andrewpayne at intrex.net
Thu Jan 1 09:28:09 MST 2009

I will admit to not having seen the episode; so I will be putting forth
opinion as fact from a position of ignorance. It's my right as an American.

Top Gear is a lot of fun in my opinion. The characters are enjoyable, if not
particularly complex.  Clarkson's position is to be a bit of a blow hard
ring leader, and the others temper him.  So does time.  Several cars have
been murdered by Clarkson only to be reviewed favorably by Hamster or
Captain Slow.  Or, by Clarkson after changes were made.

I would also argue that Top Gear in at least two ways has more integrity
than any other major car "publication".  Those two are integrity of opinion
and integrity of passion.  I like that they might describe a car as being
less enjoyable than having ones eyes gnawed out by squirrels.  Our domestic
outlets would likely say something like, they have managed to stretch the
car by 7 inches, add stereo controls to the steering wheel, a sat nav, and 8
cup holders, and makes the 0-60 sprint in .2 seconds less.  You then have to
get out past issues to find that the car went up by 350 pounds, now runs on
a solid axle, gets 18% less fuel economy, and all handling measures are down
to that of a minivan.

If they like a car, they love it.  If a new car is not an improvement for
DRIVERS, they make no bones. Heck, they may rip it apart with bulldozers. It
is comedy, but they have fun with cars. And I would love to be involved in
the 1000 pound challenges they do frequently.  The big magazines seem to
feel that if they say something bad, they must say three nice things. TG
does not do this.

So yes, they did not accurately test the Tesla, but did they accurately test
the Toyota truck by setting it on fire?  Is it fair to say that a fantastic
car is not cool just because a guy in shorts thinks it's cool?  Have a beer
and get your facts elsewhere

Lastly both Jalopnik.com and www.autoblog.com have covered both sides fairly
well, and it is pretty clear what actually happened.

Drew