[Spridgets] Water pump

WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com
Mon Jan 19 12:30:53 MST 2009

Well Ron is more of a cooling expert than I am!

I agree with Ron that you appear to have a problem that's not going to be
solved with any water pump unless what you have is broken or seized.

You don't say what kind of radiator you have - modern core design or
copper/brass or whatever.  You don't say if it is vertical or cross  flow.

You don't say if you have a thermostat or not and if you don't have one and
are using a blanking sleeve you don't say if you have blocked off the bypass
or  not.

Have you checked the temperature reading with a different gauge?

You don't say what pump you have or what pulley it has on it - have you
pulled the pump to see if the impellor is even still attached to it or is it
jammed hard against block.

Given you have cooling problems at idle and race speeds the rad looks to be
the culprit.

What is 240 in Centrigrade - about 110C.  I've run my engine up to 110  if
not 115C momentarily when doing a cooling system test but generally like it
below 105C if not 95C.  However, I don't think the oil temp has ever been  over a
100C (even on a very long dyno pull) and certainly not at the those temps
when doing a cooling system test (or on that long dyno pull).

Regards

Weslake-Monza 1330

In a message dated 19/01/2009 18:29:07 GMT Standard Time, soavero at yahoo.com
writes:

--- On  Mon, 1/19/09, Matt Hagopian <mhagopian at hoppetool.com> wrote:
>  with a 6 blade fan on the motor no shroud. It overheats to
> about 240  when
> sitting stil and while racing.

You've probably already  damaged the head. Get the head and block flat and
get a Ron Davis radiator. If  you're running 240 in both conditions, you're
picking flyshit out of pepper  with an electric waterpump discussion.

Ron