[Spridgets] Spring box leak

Michael Rowe mdrowe at optonline.net
Fri Jul 10 16:29:47 MDT 2009

I am happy to report that, after several days of cutting and fussing and cogitating I finally got my BE spring base plate off without damaging the spring box (much).  So now I can repair the mess under.

I learned that there is an open hole through the front of the spring box into the hat section on the floor.  This is undoubtedly the reason that area is so often rusted out.  This may also be the reason the early floors had vents under the hat section.  Has anyone tried to block the opening off to keep water out of the forward structure?  It would not be hard to make a plug with squirt foam.

Michael Rowe
'74 Midget
'60 Bugeye Kit
Long Island, NY