[Spridgets] NMC -- Canoeing

David Lieb 72spridget at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 21:24:25 MDT 2009

No, not in a Spridget. I just had a lovely time Tuesday paddling down
the Nippersink Creek with my daughter. A lovely sunny day with temps
in the low 70's. We put the canoe in at Glacier Park near Wonder Lake,
IL and paddled the full 18 miles or so to Pistakee Lake in under 6
hours. It is a lovely stretch surrounded by marshes, woods, fields and
an occasional house or two. You paddle under half a dozen bridges or
so, but we saw no other people other than the ones driving over some
of the bridges. We did see lots of other things, however... 5 or 6
belted king fishers, a glimpse of a beaver and a muskrat, a white-tail
deer, an owl, a Blandings Turtle, a family of wood ducks, many great
blue herons, a couple of green herons, several varieties of frogs, a
red-tail hawk, a couple of other turtles, as well as lots of other
stuff glimpsed too quickly to properly ID.
David L