[Spridgets] oil for spridgets

Deikis, John G John.Deikis at va.gov
Thu Jul 23 14:51:21 MDT 2009

More is not always better. ZDDP is also a corrosive. Flat tappet cams
seem to like that 1200-1400 ppm. Go over that amount (like dumping too
much red-bottle STP into your 20-50 GTX) and you swing the pendulum the
other way.

Easiest insurance: use oil formulated for aircooled motorcycles.

Only a little less easy: use Brad Penn which you can get by UPS or, if
you happen to live near a distributor or race shop, right out the back
door.

Valvoline or Castrol for "classic cars" I would not trust until I had a
sample tested.

If you buy a "race oil" - rather than a "street oil", you should be
aware that the additive package has ZDDP but is not formulated to
tolerate long change intervals.  Then again, we probably "over-change"
our oils.

JohnD

Message: 5