[Spridgets] SMOG Problem-NLBC-94 Toyota Celica

Ed Lindley lindlaw at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 4 20:24:24 MDT 2009

SMOG Problem-NLBC-94 Toyota Celica, 2.2 litre, 5 speed:

Took it into the Smog station in San Diego for it's 2 yr check. 2 Failures out of 18:

   1-timing was 4 BTDC and should be 10 (+/-3) BTDC>
   2-NOx:
     15 mph  708 allowed, 760 results.   FAIL
     25 mph  746 allowed, 740 results.   PASS

   I asked if correcting the timing would help and the tech said it might make the NOX even higher.

   Any thoughts as to causes and suggested repairs/adjustments (other than timing).

   I am curious as to what RPMs were involved, but there is no indication.  I could be mistaken, but I believe at one time the results were RPM based, not speed based.  What gear was used?

Ed in SD