[Spridgets] Interesting new leak

Frank spritenut at comcast.net
Wed Jun 10 17:39:05 MDT 2009

The Lady Bug has had a tranny oil leak since it was finished.
We determined that it was coming out of the new rear tranny seal.
But the seal was new.
So I finally put it up on my son's lift and took a good look at it.
Yes, it was coming from the rear seal but NOT out of the back of the seal.
You know, where seals are supposed to leak.
So I think maybe from the bottom of the shifter remote dripping on the
tail shaft and around the seal.
Nope.
It was leaking from where the seal meets the tranny, where it gets crimped.
Now there is not supposed to be a leak there and the seal went on nice
and tight when I put it on and yes I crimped it in 3 places as original
with service tool # G-101 (aka a BFH and a screw driver)
So I cleaned off all the oil and put some black goop  (not silicone) I
found in the kid's garage around where the metal seal meets the metal
tranny.
So far, so good.
Now back out to put the needle back on the speedometer and see if maybe
a voltage stabilizer will cure the always full gas gauge.
(later tank and gauge)

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ