[Spridgets] ZDDP oil additive

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Thu Jun 11 13:30:40 MDT 2009

Clay,
Better tell your "engine guy" to catch up on his reading.  Kendall GT-1
isn't actually Kendall GT-1 anymore.  It is now made up of whatever base
stocks Conoco-Phillips happens to find at the best price, rather than the
Pennsylvania grade base stock that was originally used by Kendall, when they
were a small, independent refinery that was heavily into racing, back in the
60s & 70s.
The REAL Kendall GT-1 is still being produced by the original Kendall
refinery, in Pennsylvania......only they haven't been allowed to call it
Kendall GT-1 since the name was sold to Conoco-Phillips back in '96.  It is
now called Penn Grade 1, and is refined by Brad-Penn Refinery, in Bradford,
PA.  It's the oldest, continuously operating petroleum refinery in the USA,
and the only one still producing lube oil from Pennsylvania crude base stock
(Pennsylvania grade crude is only found in a region which includes parts of
Ohio, New York, and Pennsylvania).  Pennzoil, Quaker State and all the
others that used that special base stock (which has been proven to be the
finest lube oil base stock of any in the entire world) have been bought out
by the big guys, and their names used to sell whatever oil the new owners
chose to offer in those cans.

Bottom line is that it's not just the "additive package" that makes a good
engine oil.  It is highly likely that there is a good reason that most of
(maybe all of them, by now) the major camshaft manufacturers for
high-performance engines now recommend ONLY Penn Grade 1 oil be used with
their cam installations.

Like your engine guy, the only oil I ever used in any of my engines (heck,
even in my lawn & garden equipment, fer cryin' out loud) was Kendall.  I
strongly resent what Conoco-Phillips is trying to do with the Kendall brand
(sell inferior product using a once-great name in racing), and I will never
again purchase another Conoco-Phillips product.

No financial interest, etc.

Bud Osbourne