[Spridgets] Undercoating

Michael Rowe mdrowe at optonline.net
Tue Jun 16 08:53:40 MDT 2009

It turns out my BE undercoating was put on over bare metal and at least some of it peals off easily.  So it will have to be stripped.  I don't know what the undercoating is.  This nasty is like fresh roofing tar; it remains sticky and makes a mess of anything that touches it.  Maybe it *is* roofing tar.

How do I strip it?  If I use a solvent, it will just dissolve an make a thinner mess over an even wider area.  I need something that leaves the tar unable to stick to anything else.  Is there a product that turns oil-based goo into a jell?  Aircraft Stripper? Eastwood makes a stripper specifically for undercoating.  Has anyone used it?

Tarball Rowe
'74 Midget
'60 Sprite
Long Island, NY