[Spridgets] Continuing Spitting Woes

Peter Caldwell peter at nosimport.com
Fri Jun 26 16:37:36 MDT 2009

At 02:09 PM 6/26/2009, Bud Pazur wrote:
>I thought I had got rid of my 1275 Bugeye spitting woes, but I haven't. After
>checking everything (twice or three times), replacing spark plug wires,
>getting a new battery, the condition persists.
>
>I want to check for manifold/carb vac leaks. How do I use water (or whatever)
>to do this? Thanks.
>
>Bud Pazur
==================
One way is to close down the idle screws so the butterflies are
closed, then push the car into Lake Michigan, and watch if there are
any air bubbles forming at the throttle shafts or manifold gasket.

Another way, without using water, is to have the car idling and spray
some aerosol something around the shafts and gaskets. Use something
with the little hose bit so you can pinpoint the spray. If the spray
you use is flammable, the idle will go up, if it is not flammable (or
not inflammable) the idle will go down, as the stuff is drawn into
the engine at that spot. Test to hear what the engine will do when it
gets a taste of the juice by spraying directly into a carb.

This is a lot more enviro-friendly than the first water method.

Peter C.