[Spridgets] NMC - PT Cruiser No Go

David Lieb dbl at chicagolandmgclub.com
Sun Mar 8 17:58:30 MST 2009

> If you have drive to one wheel it cannot be the clutch.  That provides the
> connection between engine and gearbox and MUST be working if you are
> getting drive to any of the wheels.

I guess I wasn't clear there. No, the engine makes NO attempt to move either
wheel. I tried rotating the wheels by hand to see whether the opposite wheel
would counter-rotate, but it didn't. It appears to have lost all connection
between the engine and the diff. The axles look great, but that does not
mean much. I was not driving it at the time, but the story was that there
was no drama at all. They backed it out of the driveway, drove down to the
stop sign a block away, put it in first, let out the clutch and nothing
happened. No violence, nothing. Sounds like a broken halfshaft on a Spridget
;-) Or two broken halfshafts on a Spridget ;-) There is just enough
difference in the resistance turning it by hand in gear vs in neutral that I
would like to think the diff is ok and the fairly new clutch-pack is dead.
Not looking forward to that.

Weird clutches they have in these things... There is a flexplate on the end
of the crank as if it was an automatic trans, but the clutch assembly bolts
to it insead of a torque convertor. It is one chunk consisting of the metal
mass for the flywheel effect and the clutch surface, the clutch disk, the
pressure plate and the throwout bearing all riveted together. OTOH, you
don't have to pull the trans out of the car to replace it. Just separate the
trans from the engine, undo the four bolts, slide the assembly out, and
reverse the procedure. I still like the Spridget clutch better.
David Lieb