[Spridgets] Gear Box Issue Looming on the Horizon, Need Some Advice

Kirk Hargreaves khargreaves2 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 16:57:23 MST 2009

I have a rib case gear box, early 70 model I believe in my 59 BE with a
1275.

I bought it from a guy in Los Angeles who had it listed on eBay, about 4
years ago.  I paid, 150 for it and I picked it up from him while on a visit
to the area.   He had it on a stand, some type of motorized stand so that he
could show the eBay community "how it goes through the gears.'

So I took a chance.  I took a feeler gauge to it before I installed it, and
it spec'd out just fine.

I installed in about 5 months ago, and although 1st gear is more noisy than
I would like - I hear that straight cut gears are going to be a bit more
noisy - the thing has ran flawlessley.

Recently, it runs fine until it gets hot. .  then it tends to be hard to
shift. .  it tightens up.

I may also have too much play in my clutch - and the oil level might be off
as well.

What should the play be on my clutch pedal?  And does anyone know off hand
what the capacity should be for this gear box?  It am going to drain it and
refill it to the correct level, just to be sure. .  and I plan to use the
same engine oil that I run in the motor. . . Rotella.

Thanks!

Kirk