[Spridgets] Angle Drive Saga Ends

rrengineer @dslextreme.com rrengineer at dslextreme.com
Wed Mar 11 17:14:31 MST 2009

I just got the angle drive back on the transmission after two days of trying
to screw it back up through the opening in the shifter can hole at the top
of the tunnel.  It had fallen off at LOTO this past summer.  The whole time
I had this Datsun transmission in the Bugeye I have been leaking
transmission oil at the back of the transmission tunnel when I parked on a
slight incline.  It had been leaking from the speedo cable angle drive where
it screws to the transmission into the trans tunnel , even when the angle
drive was screwed on.  I only found out after reading Paul's instructions
that you are supposed to put a M10 flat washer (a metric flat washer for a
10mm bolt) in between the angle drive and the threaded fitting on the
transmission to get the angle drive to tighten properly.  Well the washer
had been left out in out hurry to install the transmission.  Being loose the
angle drive hex fitting did two things, it leaked oil and it vibrated off.
There is a washer in there now.  Lesson learned, read the directions.  Since
I have to re-fill the trans now my question to you guys is, what kind of oil
are you using in your 5 speed transmissions?  Conventional or synthetic?
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite (with a working speedometer now)
56 BN2