[Spridgets] Brake Drum Specs

David Lieb 72spridget at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 08:03:42 MST 2009

> I am wanting to get the rear drums on the 68 turned true. They are not
> messed up, but I think they are out of round, because when I set the E
> brake, it won't stay set long.

The only spec I am aware of is that which is cast into the drums
indicating that the Max inside diameter is 7 1/8" or 7 1/4" (I forget
which).

Unfortunately, this will NOT help your problem at all. The best I can
figure out, is that the new shoes now use new blanks and the pattern
for the new blanks was taken from a worn set. Atr any rate, you can
have all new components in there from the cylinder to the drum and you
still have to adjust it to the end of the adjuster's travel to get
them set right. The moment it starts to wear, you are SOL. I have been
told by some Brits who claim to have tried it that you can use front
brake shoes from some form of Mini with good results other than the
shoe being a little wider (which does not seem to bother anything).
Another approach I have heard is that you can run a MIG bead along the
edge of the shoe where it meets the adjuster and then grind the edges
down to fit.
David Lieb