[Spridgets] Pertonix vs. Points Vice 123 System

72 Spridget 72spridget at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 17:29:03 MST 2009

> There is one case that Pertronix mentions on their website that could
> account for many
> of the problems people have encountered:
> "Leaving the ignition switch on when the engine is not running, can cause
> permanent damage to the ignition system, and related components."

The other thing that has not been mentioned this time around is that the
Pertronix only uses two wires. One is power and the other is the signal to
the coil. Please note the entire absence of a ground wire. How does the unit
get its ground? Well, either through the cute little braided wire from the
points plate to the body of the sistributor, then through that oily body to
the engine block, then... Or else the braided wire is dead or missing
(tested it lately?) so it tries to ground through the mechanical advance
springs and weights. You get the picture? Electronics do NOT like iffy
grounds!!! If I were still running the Pertronix, I would add a third wire
from a good ground to the points plate, following the other two wires.

Also, I would like to quibble with Frank's statement about the Pertronix not
improving performance over a good set of points. The coil takes its 10VDC
(nominal) and multiplies it by 2500 or so. ANY resistance in the points is
going to affect that initial voltage with a resulting 2500:1 consequence on
the results. Likewise, the Pertronix eliminates that condenser that has been
so flaky of late and causes such interesting symptoms.
David Lieb