[Spridgets] Where should I advertise this Midget ?

Karl Vacek kvacek at ameritech.net
Sun Mar 15 19:00:36 MST 2009

We have a '78 Midget that may be the lowest-mileage and most-original
remaining.  We bought it in 2006 for my wife, who fondly remembered her '64
Midget and wanted another one.  This car has just over 14,000 miles, still
original tires (maybe not a great idea to drive on 'em, but they run fine),
original top, upholstery, shiny original paint, absolutely no rust ever, etc.,
etc.  All original papers since it was won on Wheel of Fortune in 1978.

We bought it from the second owner 3 months after he'd bought it from the
original owner - he just resold the car after putting in a fuel pump and
waxing it, and made some cash.  I went through all hoses, belts, and
hydraulics, rebuilt the carbs, new original brake master cylinder, and
replaced the exhaust system (it was the original too, but rusted beyond any
use or repair.  Lots of little stuff here and there.  I kept pretty much every
original part too.

It's really too nice to be used as we want - as a summer driver.  And Jill
isn't that wild about it any more - it's not a '64.  I'm basically a Triumph
guy, currently with a TR4, and I never did fit in Midgets that well.  And my
MGTC that I sold 25 years ago, is now coming home to us so we'll need some
space and time for that.

Besides just putting it on eBay and/or in Hemmings, is there anywhere I should
advertise to potentially find someone who wants a very original survivor car ?
I really think it's close to a museum piece.  I'm not saying that because we
want to make money here - I probably have too much in it anyway - we just want
to see that it goes to someone or some place that will preserve this time
capsule.

Thanks !
Karl Vacek
Riverside, IL