[Spridgets] Pertronix Models

Deikis, John G John.Deikis at va.gov
Thu Mar 19 06:53:50 MST 2009

I think electronics are a good thing because they are potentially robust
and replace little machines with solid state stuff. But any electronic
"improvement" has to be nominally 100% reliable or it's not worth the
upgrade. My transistorized SU fuel pump on my TD has been perfect for
over 20 years. I've had a Crane ignition in my TD for maybe 15 years and
it triggers reliably in an oily environment that fouled points
regularly. It's a terrific improvement, but I'm frankly surprised such a
flimsy device has lasted. I have had 2 Pertronix triggers in the vintage
race Midget. I've gone back to points and condenser because when these
things have quit, it has been without warning and has ruined my race
day. Ask Rick Fisk!  Moral of my story: if the machine works adequately
and reliably with acceptable maintenance, I will continue to use it. If
specific conditions demand an improvement, I'll upgrade.

JohnD