[Spridgets] Electronic Ignition

Billy Zoom billyzoom at billyzoom.com
Thu Mar 19 12:23:16 MST 2009

Is the subject electronic ignition vs. points, or is it electronic ignition
vs. Pertronix?  Electronic ignition is a good thing...especially when it's
controlled by a micro processor. Pertronix doesn't improve anything. It's
just a switch that replaces the points, and it's less reliable than points.
I don't understand why you guys have such a fear of points. Maintaining
points takes maybe five minutes a year, and if there's ever a problem you
can fix it with a matchbook and a pocket knife. If you're looking for
maximum driveability, a real electronics ignition is a good thing, and so is
a computer and electronic fuel injection, if you can manage to retro-fit it.
As I said before, I have a Pertronix in the Ranchero. When it fails, I'll go
back to points because I don't need one more thing to worry about. I'll keep
the Pertronix coil.
BZ