[Spridgets] Electronic Ignition

72 Spridget 72spridget at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 19:12:51 MST 2009

I have never had a Pertronix fail on me in probably close to 60,000 miles of
use.

OTOH, I used to have a 1987 Plymouth Duster 2.2. The electronic gizmo in the
distributor (Hall effect?) failed on me three times in the eight years I
drove that car.

The first time was lots of fun; I had less than 10,000 miles on the car from
new and I would be driving merrily down the road and the plugs would stop
firing. Drift to the side of the road, pop the hood, scratch my head, close
the hood, jump in the car and drive off. A day or so later the cycle would
repeat. By the time you could try to figure out what was wrong, it would
start working again. The only indication I had was that the tach would drop
like a rock, so I was fairly sure it was on the primary side of the
ignition. One day it did it to me just as the shoulder was about to end on
the left side of the Dan Ryan coming north into the Chicago Loop. By then I
knew that all I had to do was pull over, wait a minute or so, and drive
away, so I did. I moved over to the right lane and it did it again JUST as
the shoulder re-appeared on the right side of the road. Fine all the way
home from there. A few days later, it finally died for good. I had parked it
in the driveway one night and the next morning it would not start. Rather
kind and considerate of it, I must admit.

Another time the wires broke right at the edge of the module. DInda
irritating to replace a $50 module because of a broken wire.

I can't complain too much, however, since the only time that car failed to
get me home under its own power was when the timing belt broke with 201,000
miles on it.
David Lieb