[Spridgets] To vent or not to vent

Jim F. jimndi at frontiernet.net
Fri Mar 20 08:11:13 MST 2009

I've been advised about crankcase venting on my 1970 vintage 1275
(12/DA/H29827) . I believe this year was before the air pump emissions junk
cluttered everything up. My plan is to run a vented oil cap (Oil cap has a 1/4
inch hole on the inside and air passes freely so I think this is an oem vented
cap?. I will connect the carb "Y" pipe to the Timing cover canister vent on
the front of the engine. Is this sufficient crankcase ventilation? My biggest
concern is crankcase pressure pushing oil through the rear main seal.This is a
freshly rebuilt engine. I've toyed with the idea of drilling out a non vented
oil fill cap and installing a rubber grommet and pcv valve for increased
venting. Are my concerns unfounded? Thanks.

1960 Bugeye