[Spridgets] 5 speed question

rrengineer @dslextreme.com rrengineer at dslextreme.com
Fri Mar 20 11:10:34 MST 2009

You DO want to install it with the drive shaft installed.  You will have a
hell of a time trying to fit the drive shaft after the trans is in, not only
because the yoke is flopping around, but you will  not have room at the top
of the tunnel to lift it high enough to slide it in the end of the
transmission.  You will either have to pull the engine back out again or cut
a section of the top of the tunnel out to get it to clear enough to slide it
in, then weld the patch back in.  Some guys have even had the yoke contact
the tunnel when it turns AFTER it was installed.  It was very close on my
Bugeye.  I ended up going the cutout reweld route.  I re-welded a patch with
a slight bulge in it for clearance.  You can't see it with the carpet in
place.  Another alternative is to machine a spacer for the other end of the
driveshaft so it will make the drive shaft go further into the end of the
transmission which will give you more clearance.  A 1/4 to 1/2 inch is all
that you will need.  The further forward the yoke is, the more clearance you
have with the top of the tunnel. Good luck.
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite
56 BN2