[Spridgets] Another Crash

David Riker davriker at nwi.net
Fri Mar 20 20:51:15 MST 2009

All new cars sold meet the letter of the standards, but not all achieve 5
star crash ratings, or there would be no reason for a rating scale.  At work
we have a collision center.  I get to see wrecked cars come in every day.  6
months ago there was another Equinox that came in.  It had been hit head on
by a driver asleep at the wheel traveling at 60 mph.  Driver and passenger
walked away from that accident too.  To actually see these cars, know the
story and observe that the passenger compartment is still intact, and the
doors still open and close is beyond amazing.

Like the oil on the road in the dark story somebody else relayed, some
accidents ARE unavoidable.  Defensive driving is important, awareness is
important, but when the cross street is obstructed by a hedge, and the car
comes out from behind that hedge at almost double the legal speed limit,
there's no where and no time to get out of the way.  My wife says I cranked
the wheel in an evasive manuver, I don't remember it, but my thumb ligaments
are torn, probably from the steering wheel being ripped out of my hands on
impact.  My ankle is sore, but didn't hit anything, best I can tell I was
trying to jam on the brakes, again, don't remember.

Mr "tinydog", if you were my dog, you'd be off to the pound.  I don't like
most of your comments, and so you are off to my spam filter to join derf and
capt bob, and the occasional ad for male enhancement products.  I hope you
enjoy it there.

David R.