[Spridgets] Electrolytic Rust Removal

Timothy H. Collins thcollin at mtu.edu
Sun Mar 22 12:41:30 MST 2009

Another word of caution.
I was using a plastic bin from a refrigerator for my bucket and bare
wire to make my connections - just doing small parts. During the
process something shifted and shorted the sacrificial metal to my
parts. The (small) bare wire began to glow like a toaster wire (ten
amp battery charger) which melted the plastic bin which then caught
on fire. Globs of burning plastic dropped onto my wood top work bench
which then too caught on fire. The fire never got very large, but
this happened while I was behind the garage wire brushing parts. I
heard the smoke alarm go off and found the fire when I went to
investigate. So. . .  make sure you have a stable setup so you don't
have a fire. A smoke alarm in the garage is generally a bother
because it goes off so much, but that day it saved me.

Let's see. . . We WERE poor, but we didn't know it - and that's the truth!

Tim Collins
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12702006@N07/