[Spridgets] Spark plugs and altitude

soavero at yahoo.com soavero at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 23 15:49:32 MST 2009

You lost me at "Ron is correct" ;-)

Actually, I agree with Dan - a 6 is
fairly warm, but you can try 5's (I have 8s on my race car, 6 on street).  I
missed the 35 deg advance before also - that sounds like a "leave it alone"
number too. Normally, the timing advance compensates for the lack of oxygen
and its slowing effect on fuel burn. Same with lower octane gas. The air-fuel
meter will be the real answer, and you can do things gradually.

Ron Soave
--- On Mon, 3/23/09, WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com <WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com>
wrote:

> From: WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com <WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com>
> Subject:
Spark plugs and altitude

Cc: breton48 at live.com
> Date: Monday, March 23, 2009, 3:04 PM
>

> Looks like Ron is correct and I'm wrong because
> NGK say the same
thing as
> Ron.  My excuse is that I live a long way from
> mountains....
>
> http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/p4.asp?mode=nml
>

> That said if the plugs don't foul don't go to
> a hotter heat range.  If

they are fouling I'd still go a range at a time.
> On the NGK web page they
> advise how much the heat range changes per grade though how
> you work out
the
> chamber temps I didn't find.
>
> A factor on whether or not you need