[Spridgets] Electrolytic Rust Removal

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 18:19:42 MST 2009

Bill,

I dunno about why washing soda but I suspect it is a chemical thing under
electrolysis. Washing soda is Na2CO3 - Sodium Carbonate.

Salt is NaCl - Sodium Chloride.  Mix it in water and run a current through
it and you might get hydrochloric acid and/or free chlorine gas which are
some pretty nasty things to deal with. Sodium isn't anything to mess around
with either.

With washing soda you'd get Carbon Dioxide and Sodium Monoxide or something
like that. No where near as nasty as the Chlorates!

I don't know how this would work, but I remember enough chemistry to think I
don't wanna mess with even a slight chance of these Chlorate compounds.

Cheers!!
Jim

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 8:07 PM, Bill Masquelier <billmasq at hotmail.com>wrote:

> OK- who is the chemical expert who can tell me why we need washing soda for
> the electrolysis? I can't find washing soda to save my life and just wonder
> why a teaspoon of common table salt per gallon of water wouldn't work
> properly?
> BillM
>
> > From: PAsgeirsson at worldnet.att.net
> > To: kevinv1275 at gmail.com; thcollin at mtu.edu
> > Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 06:14:54 -0800
> > CC: spridgets at autox.team.net
> > Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Electrolytic Rust Removal
> >
> > Goodwill or Salvation Army has lots of stainless steel pot lids.  They
> work
> > great and are really inexpensive!
> >
> > Paul A

Cheers!!
Jim - an unapologetic capitalist
"'Need' now means wanting someone else's money. 'Greed' means wanting to
keep your own. And 'Compassion' is when a politician arranges the transfer."
-  Joseph Sobran