[Spridgets] 1275 pressure plate question

Marc smarc at smarc.net
Sat May 2 08:01:12 MDT 2009

Thanks.

So, I installed an entire clutch kit (pp,clutch disk, TO bearing) that I
got from PeterC last year. The box says Powertune KT9632PT on it, but
someone has handwritten HK9632 on the box.

Start the engine, and after 15 or 20 seconds, start getting smoke from
the trans housing. I believe it's the carbon faced throwout bearing.
I've pulled EVERYTHING out and reinstalled it twice - exactly the same
problem. It actually works, feels normal, and no untoward noises, but
obviously something is not right.

Inspection of the TO bearing shows no obvious damage.

I'm at a loss... My thought is that this is an incorrect or incompatible
clutch kit.

Oh, one more variable, I also replaced the slave cylinder and hose when
I had it apart the first time. Maybe there's some difference thats
affected the push rod's effective length or travel... I'm not sure
what's exactly right in terms of free play / travel on a midget...
Perhaps some combination that makes the pushrod long enough that the TO
bearing is dragging?

Suppose I could completely remove the push rod  and see if it stops
smoking...

--

Marc