[Spridgets] Engine out

David Booker tncarnut1 at yahoo.com
Sat May 2 13:41:03 MDT 2009

Well, Engine is out and on the stand. Decided t leave the tranny alone after
all. Found few surprises except that the distributor was in there loose to the
touch.  Hmmm, think it might run better when I get it back in and actually
tighten it down?  The cause of the noises was very apparent (and was
exactly what I suspected it to be) - Throwout bearing carbon piece was in
many, many pieces in the bottom of the bell housing.  Yep, that would sure
make an ugly sound when pressing on the clutch.  In the few shifts it took me
to get home once the noise started I had already begun to grind into the metal
surround for the carbon material.

Just went to the parts store and got a gallon of Super Clean and found a
couple of neat expandy-rubber plugs I can put into the intake manifold holes
while washing it all down.  NOW comes the nasty part of the job.

David Booker
'71 0000cc Midget
Long Island