[Spridgets] Le Macchine d'Italia (No LBC)

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Sun May 3 09:36:20 MDT 2009

There's a huge difference between "inexpensive" and "cheap".  Fiat does so
well in Europe because it makes a vehicle which Europeans can afford to buy.
Europeans that need a quality vehicle buy an Audi, BMW or Mercedes.
Europeans generally take far better car of their vehicles than Americans do
and put far fewer miles on them as well. They can get by with poor Fiat
quality. To many Europeans, a car has almost always been a luxury item. Even
a small cheaply made one.

Stop and think about it. Why did Fiat cars never really do well in the US
like VW has? When was the last time you saw a traveling salesman or farmer
driving a Fiat? The quality of the vehicle is the reason. They can't stand
up to the abuse they get in this country and they can't pass the crash tests
because they are too cheaply made.

The Volkswagon Beetle is inexpensive. The Fiat is CHEAP.

But, never fear, the agreement with Chrysler is being touted as Fiat
providing Chrysler with their "small car technology and experience (read:
cheap crap)." A company that was near bankruptcy two years ago because it
sells crap and has no experience with the American car market is now helping
one that is in bankruptcy today due to collapse of the credit system and the
banks. Chrysler knows how to make quality cars and trucks for the American
market. Fiat doesn't. We are being sold a joke by do-gooders who wouldn't
know a quality car from a potted plant.

Cheers!!
Jim

--