[Spridgets] 1275 pressure plate question

David Riker davriker at nwi.net
Sat May 2 17:08:28 MDT 2009

The TO bearing is supposed to be in constant contact with the pressure
plate.  Like the pads on disc brakes, there is no spring to pull the throw
out bearing away.  It is the diaphram spring itself returning to rest that
pushes back on the TO bearing.  If the bolts holding the pressure plate to
the flywheel were tightened out of sequence or incorrectly, the surface that
the TO bearing rides against may not be spinning flat.  A bent throw out
fork could also cause a rattle when not under pressure if the TO is not
centered to the pressure plate.  Worn release arm pivot points could too.

David R.