[Spridgets] [midgetsprite]

Guy R Day grday at btinternet.com
Sun Nov 1 16:44:26 MST 2009

Oh dear,  trust the ex-colonials to start to muddle things up......  <smile>
The nearside of a car is the side nearest the kerb.  (A curb is something
you do to slow down immoderate excess.)  Except when you are driving round
the inside lane of a roundabout in which case the other side of the car or
the offside will be nearest OR, when you are overtaking it is possible the
offside could quite well be closest to a kerb especially when you are on the
offside of the road.
Surely this is simple?
Now, the nearside lane is that lane immediately to the left of the offside
lane unless there is a centre lane which means the nearside lane is that one
immediately to the left of the centre or middle lane and is still, in any
event to the left of the offside lane which could be an oncoming lane if the
road is not a dual carriageway.  If it is a four or more lane road then the
nomenclature of the lanes other than the nearside and offside lanes will
change but they will remain in place.  In the event the road is a dual
carriageway with four or more lanes there must be two nearside lanes and two
offside lanes each in their respective positions abutting the nearside and
offside kerb or road edges as appropriate.
What could be easier?

Hope this clarifies the subject.

Guy R Day

ps  In the UK when facing forwards in the normal direction of travel the
left of the car is the nearside, the right or driver's side (NO - I 'm not
going to start again) is on the offside.  When facing the car from the
front, the left and right sides change but the nearside and offside remain
as they were.