[Spridgets] Vintage Racing question.

JLC breton48 at live.com
Sun Nov 8 10:19:54 MST 2009

Kurt B. wrote:
Those of you that race your spridgets, how did you get started?  What got
you interested in going racing?
What kind of budget do you set aside for your sport?
We're working on an article to possibly help educate begining racers to take
the plunge and any insight would be appreciated.

-

First, I must point out my last vintage race was November 11, 2001, and I
have very little racing experience compared with many on this list.

Back in 2000, I  was racing SCCA "Spec 7" with a 1983  RX7.  The car needed
very little maintenance, but  that  kind of racing was  "bumper car"
racing!  The good thing about the Spec 7 is that it was a "momentum car",
and it teached you how to drive. I did most of  the mechanical work myself,
but I got tired of paying for bodywork repairs, which sometimes took longer
than expected, and I missed races because of that.

 That was when I decided to take my Bugeye to vintage racing with VARA in So
Cal. VARA did not accept my racing license from SCCA, and I went to a "super
weekend" at Buttonwillow racetrack to qualify. That included class time and
track time.  It was easier to get through VARA requirements than SCCA. After
three race weekends, I think I was off my "probationary" status.

Right away, I liked vintage racing much better than SCCA. No more "rubbing
is racing" unless it was truly accidental, and even then you might be sent
off the track, or even home if it happened more than once.  Penalty for
going all four wheels off the track was to stop in the pits and wait till
the stewart let you go again. The Bugeye was much more fun to drive than the
RX7, I was not so worried about bodywork damage. Vintage car racing was FUN!
So why did I stop... money!

I already had the car as well as the tow vehicle and the trailer when I
started vintage racing, but the Bugeye needed a lot more attention than the
Mazda. I had to use high octane racing gas at $7 or so per gallon, while in
the Mazda I used the cheapest unleaded gas which was below $2 at the time.
At 7 to 8 miles per gallon top, I could use $70 or more in gas in the Bugeye
during a racing weekend. Tires did not last very long, no doubt the welded
rear axle did not help there! After paying for parts for the car, fuel on
and off the track, sets of dot racing tires ($500 a pop), hotels and  food,
paid expenses for a friend of mine who was my mechanic/minder, entry fees,
the cost escalated to the point I was thinking more of how much I was
spending, than how much fun I had on the track.

I do not mean the above to sound negative - just pointing out a few things:

1.  Back in 2001, the average vintage racing budget for a Bugeye, per year,
was probably around $20,000. The parts alone to build my race engine back in
2000 cost $7,500. In so Cal, a full race engine by a reputable builder was
going for around $12,000 at the time, and an engine may not last you more
than one season, or even less if you are unlucky.
2.  Even in vintage racing, don't go racing unless you are prepared to have
your car damaged, or even written off.
3.  If it is fun and you can afford it, go vintage racing! If you start
worrying about how much money you spend, or for any reason it is not fun
anymore, stop!

JLC