[Spridgets] Veterans' Day

Bob Spruck mgmaven at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 11 15:31:43 MST 2009

I got a call this afternoon from my 5 year old grandson. They had a program
today in Kindergarten about remembering and thanking Veterans. In the car
on the way home from school, my daughter told Brooks that they had a
veteran in the family, and he said "Let's call Grampa and thank him right
now !"

It brought tears to my eyes to hear him tell me what all they said in the
program and how much the flags and the band impressed him. Yes, I surely
did not get flags, bands, or thanks when I returned from Vietnam.

It so happens that I also attended a lunch and presentation put on by the
Georgia Veterans Affairs Department today that was rather moving, with the
100 or so vets there, some from WWII. Then I went to the local high school
to talk to the young history teacher who has a whole series of classes and
programs to make the kids aware of the sacrifices of those of us who served
our country in uniform.

What a moving day!. When I got home and then got Brook's call, I went
outside and saluted the flag that always flies in my front yard and  I
remembered and  I thanked.

Bob