[Spridgets] 1275 engine

CosmicMag1380 cosmicmag1380 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 00:39:06 MST 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 10:42 PM, Jess Power <jessmd1 at comcast.net> wrote:
I assume after placing a 1275cc motor in a 1959 bugeye,one has to place an
exhaust system made for a 1275?
The original 948 exhaust manifold is shorter in overall length than those
used on the 1275s. It is about 1 & 3/4 inches to the lip of the cone from
the collection point. The 1275 manifold is about 4 inches. The inside
diameter is smaller too. The 1098 and 1275 manifolds are better flowing
because they are larger. The 1967 1275 manifold has the cone on the end for
the clamp whereas the later 1275 manifold has 3 studs at the header pipe.

Others will probably know but I believe that the 1098 and 1275 engines are
actually taller than the 948 and thus the difference in the manifold length
below the collection point. Just go with a decent header setup and custom
exhaust! Any good muffler shop can make up the pipe and put your choice of
muffler on it, probably for less than a stock system from the usual
suspects...

--
Kent
1960 Bugeye