[Spridgets] Fuel Gauge and Float Check

David Lieb 72spridget at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 17:08:09 MST 2009

Norbert,
It sounds as if the only thing you are doing wrong is that the system
is not intended to run on full battery power. Instead it is driven by
the "voltage stabilizer" which brings it down to around 10VDC IIRC.

If I were doing it, I would check the continuity of the sender across
the sweep of the float with multiple readings along the scale. Then I
would connect a voltmeter in place of the gauge in your test rig and
see what the float motion does to that reading.
David L

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 12:35 PM, Hotmail <nsliwinski at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Group.
>

> I have recently purchased a '73 Midget with a broken fuel gauge. As a
winter
> project I would like to "fix" it. How do I "test" the circuit - gauge and
> float outside the car? Having 2 of each I check continuity with an Ohm
meter
> and the reading was full scale.  I than hooked up one pole of the fuel
gauge
> to the Bat + the second to the + pole on the float and second to ground. I
> do not get any reading on the gauge when I move the lever on the float.
What