[Spridgets] Fw: Ampmeter

chris_west chris_west at juno.com
Tue Nov 24 09:33:43 MST 2009

Skip  - I am currently in the middle of repairing an otherwise unmolested
dash panel that had 2 "extra" holes in it.  One small one for some kind
of switch and a 2" one that contained...an ammeter.  The DPO apparently
had no "design sense" and the big hole was cut assymetric to the other
gauges.  It has been a PIA to fix (sheet metal plug and braze) because it
was so close to the crease that runs along the top of the panel.  This
dash is an interim installation in my car while I decide on a "permanent"
dash, maybe a wood veneer in the original patterm, and is going to be
wrinkle finished like the later cars.  For this reason the crease and
filled hole need to look right since I can't "fudge" the repair with the
normal vinyde covering.  I drove my car for a long time with a Smiths
ammeter in a single panel under the dash in front of the shifter - it
looked OK and was not in the way.  If your dash has not been cut, I would
recommend the under dash bracket.

Chris - AN5L35xxx