[Spridgets] Antifreeze / Coolant

chris_west chris_west at juno.com
Sun Oct 11 11:24:46 MDT 2009

Follow this link to learn all you need to know (and more) about
automotive coolant antifreeze.

http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/2006/12/01/hmn_feature20.html

Being in the auto parts business, I get asked these questions frequently:

Can I mix green (ethelyne glycol) and  red / pink / yellow etc.
antifreeze?

ans: The literature says yes, but you will negate the "extended life"
features of the "non green" stuff.
       Anecdotal evidence I have heard but not seen demonstrated says no,
it will turn into a jello-like sustance
       if mixed.  I have been meaning to mix some under controlled
condtions of heat and pressure to test
       this theory, but have not as of this time.

Can I replace red etc. with green after a flush of the system?

ans:  Definitely yes, but you will need to follow the proper replacement
schedule for the green, rather than that
        published in the owner's or repair manual.

Can I replace green with red etc. after a flush of the system?

ans:  Yes, but why?  The non green stuff costs more and actually does not
work any better as a coolant.  Be aware that GM
had some serious gasket degradation issues in the cars that were the
first to use DexCool.  My feeling is that the gasket materials
were not really compatible with the organic acids (see article) in
DexCool.  This lead to a GM recall and/or "product improvement
program" for intake gasket leaks in the 3.1L and 3.8L V6 engines.  For
that and other reasons I would stick with the green
stuff if that was what you had before.

Chris - AN5L35xxx