[Spridgets] Correction

Kirk Hargreaves khargreaves2 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 15:24:22 MDT 2009

 I called the Le Mans engine a 327. .  should have read 326.  What was I
thinkin?  Oh, I know, I was probably thinking about my 67 Camaro that had a
rebuilt 327 in it.

That Camaro . . what a mess.  The machinist who bored the holes screwed up.
.  the engine was an oil pump.  I changed the guides. .  still pumped oil,
especially in gear going down hill on a large grade in our area called
Kirker Pass.  One quart would last 500 miles.

Then I sold it.  I told the kid about the oil problem.  Ran into the kid a
few months later and he told me that the oil use cleared up.  The engine by
now had 20k miles on it.  I am still not sure if I believe him.

I used nothing fancy in the rebuild.  The rings were stock. .  not chrome
moly.  I later heard that the machinist used a portable boring machine which
I think caused the bore to slightly splay out toward the bottom.

Lesson learned.  I should have waited for a known machinist who had been
doing cars for the dirt track in town, and who had been at the same machine
shop for over ten years.  The guy was on vacation and I was anxious to get
the car done.  And the lousy machinist I ended up using also offered me a
correct 327 block in place of the worn 350 that had resided in the car.  So
I took the bait.

*Question. .  I am reading a few posts regarding the early mechanical fuel
injected Chevy engines and the horsepower increases that they were making
due to the fuel injection of the time.

Were these reliable fuel injection units. .  or did they have issues that
could keep their owners in crazy mode most of the time? *

Kirk