[Spridgets] 45DM4 Re: still no Workie

Richard Ball richb at u.washington.edu
Fri Oct 30 07:41:40 MST 2009

I sent this out last night, but apparently it didn't make it to the list:

Sorry to jump in here late, but I've been away from the computer.

We did actual have spark to each plug last night with the Mallory installed.
At first I hooked the timing light up to each lead in turn and got a light
pulse.  Then later we pulled number one plug and I connected each lead and
got spark when grounded to the head,  Ed was on the other side of the car
cranking it over and may not have seen what I did., plus we tried several
thing that night.  Sorry for the confusion Ed.  Hard to keep track, but we
did have spark and fuel.   Just no starting.  We may have been 180 out, but
we thought we were right on.  We brought number one up on compression then
moved it to TDC by hand.  So here is the question.  Which direction should
the rotor have been pointing?  We had it pointing towards the front of the
car, so if we were 180 out should it have been pointing to the rear?

We swapped in an older dizzy that Bill M had loaned Ed, but the coil lead
was bad so we didn't have spark at the cap.  We did swap out the coil wire
for a known good one and did get spark when grounded out to the head, so we
know the points, condenser, and low tension wire was working.  It was an
older screw type cap so we didn't attach it to the cap.  That's when we had
to call it for the night.

I have to thank everybody for their help and advice on this.  Both Ed and
myself are fairly new to Spridgets and are working are way through with lots
of help.  Last night was the first time since I sold my '68 firebird 20 plus
years ago that I had to work with points in a car.  On top of that I have a
1550 so haven't paid as much attention to the A series discussions as I
should have.

Rich Ball
'76 Midget
Everett, WA