[Spridgets] Aviation piston engine question - No LBC

Ron Soave soavero at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 1 11:35:29 MDT 2009

The whole story was rather humorous. We were not allowed to use AC power or an
inverter. We were taking data on a laptop, back then battery life was 90
minutes at best. We told the crew to turn the power on just prior to take off,
and it woud boot right into data acquisition. There would be a big "RECORD"
button they would see and click on. We provided instructions with pictures and
a preflight demonstration. They still wanted "the contractor" to do it (the
word "contractor" implies we were being PAID - Ha!). So they took Chuck along
for taxi. After he turned on the laptop and hit "record", they dropped him off
on the side of the runway. If you've been to Robins...this was where they had
FRED (The C-5), and it's a huge isolated place. The plane takes off, Chuck
figures a support vehicle was there somewhere or would be there any minute. 2
hours later, somebody realized "Hey, there's a man out there!".