[Spridgets] (spridgets) ethanol in gasoline

jjj at acsnet.com jjj at acsnet.com
Thu Sep 3 23:50:39 MDT 2009

Had to reply to this post. I am a corn farmer in the midwest that has been
using ethanol blended gas in brit cars since the 80's. THIS IS BUNK!!!
These people are SELLING something and the main thing they are selling is
FEAR! If gas stratified to a blend of 75% alcohol I doubt any of our cars
would run on it without drilling out the jets!
Alcohol does blend with water and that is why it was used as a antifreeze
before ethelene glycol.
I have never had problems with gas tank rust before or after ethanol came
along because I fill my tanks before storage to stop condensation.
Ethanol will give you slightly lower fuel economy that I figure is
compensated by lower cost. It also will clean out any rust and gunk in
your tank so keep some extra fuel filters on hand when you  first start
using it.
My british rubber and plastic parts have stood up to it just fine.
At 10% it replaces MTBE a suspected carcinegen that has a long life and is
showing up in ground water. Do I think it will solve our energy problems?
No, I do not.
Cheers, Kurt.