[Spridgets] [midgetsprite] Re: Crank Pulley removal: 98, Camry

Lee Fox lee.fox at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 13 14:13:12 MDT 2009

Ed,

The rope trick WILL work. It's just a little more difficult to feed the
rope down the spark plug hole. Be SURE to leave at least a foot of rope
sticking out of the plug hole and top of the head, so you can retrieve
the rope when you're done and as a visual reminder that you have rope in
there. The four cylinder engine is NON interference, but, I think, the
V6 is.

Another trick that works even better for me is to remove the pulley is
to put a big socket on the crankshaft pulley nut and a long breaker bar
on the ground, facing the front. Bump the starter (pull the coil wire to
prevent starting) and it should come loose. I believe the engine turns
clockwise. Use the rope trick to tighten. You only need 80 ft.-lbs. Let
me know if you need the pages from the factory shop manual.

Lee