[Spridgets] fire extinguisher?

Guy R Day grday at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 14 03:52:57 MDT 2009

Fire Brigade standing orders are to open them on a weekly basis and
physically stir the powder to ensure free flow.

The vibration in a vehicle does pack dry powder down and in previous
scrutineering safety talks I've set one off, then stripped it down and it
will typically show around 50 to 70% of the powder unused and compacted
inside the bottom of the container.  In many motor-sport arenas vehicle
mounted dry powder extinguishers are prohibited.  You WILL need to loosen
dry powder up FAR MORE often than 'every few months'. At least weekly if all
you are going to do is give it an external shake and bang.  One thing to try
is to unscrew the top and remove it and the attached gas cylinder, put them
to one side and pour the contents of the extinguisher into a large jug.
Then look in the fire extinguisher and you'll see how much is left behind!
Chip that loose and stir it up with a stick then pour that out into the jug
as well, stir again.  If you can, get a plastic pipe around the same
diameter as the gas cylinder (plastic waste water pipe, broom handle?), hold
that vertically in the centre of the container and pour the powder back in
around it.  Carefully lift the pipe out and that will leave a hole to slide
the gas cylinder and top back in, screw it up and you have a dry powder
extinguisher without a compacted core where problems can start.

BCF is no longer used in UK but it was good stuff for fires, bad for lungs
and the atmosphere.  Aqueous Fire Fighting Foam (AFFF) has turned into the
standard choice.

If something is on fire you need to be able to get to the fire extinguisher
quickly  - as Kent correctly says - and you don't want it
clamped/bolted/clipped in that well you can't get it out!

Guy R Day