[Spridgets] clear lacquer finish

chris_west chris_west at juno.com
Mon Sep 21 17:50:30 MDT 2009

Drew wrote:

I know that lotus sold many sevens like this, but I'm not aware of any
steel cars.  Obviously, it's a matter of taste, much like a flat black
rat rod. But I also wonder if it might have a cool look. Scars and all.
I have to decide if I like the welded in panels as they happen.  Has
anyone seen cars like this? What clear finish would work? And could I
still paint over it later if I changed my mind, or would I have to
restrip the car?
Drew

______________

Drew - I think clear lacquer could possibly work over bare metal if it
was absolutely clean and rust free.  When I worked in a welding products
factory we used clear lacquer to protect the bare copper tips from
oxidation.  This would, however, wear off with repeated handling so
quality control testing was done wearing white cotton gloves to protect
the finish.  Bare metal (of any sort AFAIK) is not a suitable substrate
for any automotive enamel, either single stage (acrylic) or 2 part
(urethane or epoxy), including clear coat, if it is not first primed.  If
there were absolutely no rust, you could prime with a product such as
Permatex "Extend", which dries clear in the absence of rust.  Any little
rust pinpoints, however, would turn black.  You would then clearcoat
directly over this "primed" surface.  You can color coat over the
"Extend" but the clear would need to be stripped first.  And BTW, the
Delorean was stainless steel, maintained with steel wool (stainless, of
course) or nylon "Scotchbrite" pads.

Chris
AN5L355xx