[Spridgets] Sudden stop

John O'Brien banjojohn at cox.net
Mon Sep 21 21:20:05 MDT 2009

Hi Spridget think tank:

I was having a great time with my Sprite this summer until a problem
developed.  I was driving home one day when suddenly the engine just died.
I coasted to the curb and called my wife to tell her I was having trouble.
Engine would crank but not even try to start again.  I sat for 4-5 minutes
and then tried again.  It started right up and ran perfectly normal the rest
of the way home.  I have had it do the same thing the last 2 times out.
Runs fine for 15 - 20 minutes. Then suddenly dies.  After a few minutes it
starts right up again and runs normally.  I'm worried that it is going to
quit and not come back to life the next time. The only work I had done
recently was to drop the fuel tank to reseal around the sender.  It had been
leaking when filled.

Any ideas of what's going on?  I thought the coil might be going bad, so I
replaced it.  It happened again after.  I haven't been able to determine if
it's fuel or spark because it comes back to life before I can really try any
tests.  I have a clear fuel filter which is full of fuel when I look.  I put
in new Grose jets this spring.

Thanks for any ideas

John O'Brien

'65 300 Mk III