[Spridgets] Tool boxes

Jay Fishbein jfishbein at snet.net
Thu Sep 24 13:12:52 MDT 2009

(I'll offer-up a direct answer as well as provide some additional info for
anyone else interested in tool boxes.)

Lower priced boxes are not as deep front to back, are made of thinner gauge
metal, and often lack ball-bearing drawer slides. These babies get pretty
heavy when they are loaded-up and you probably want to have enough room in
each drawer for like items rather than use two or three drawers for one type
of tool such as sockets.

I would guess that bottom cabs range from 12"-24" in depth.

The designer trend hit tool boxes a long time ago which accounts for much of
the fluff and so on.

You probably already know this but get a used box from a tool vendor like
Matco or Snap-On and you can save alot of $. Cosmetic condition is meaningless
as long as the drawers and locks work properly.

Determine in advance what you are going to store so you know what types of
drawers you need for shallow items like wrenches sockets etc and larger and
heavier tools like impact tools, large hammers, and such. You may even want a
side cab, although you can added that later, too.

Another option is whether you strictly want a large rolling bottom cab that
can be used as a workbench.

Like a garage, you want to plan for the future and get a box that has room for
additional items you are going to find absolutely necessary :-) to acquire
down the road.

Jay Fishbein
Wallingford, CT