[Spridgets] fuel delivery issue

John O'Brien banjojohn at cox.net
Wed Apr 14 20:41:23 MDT 2010

Hi all you wealth of knowledge:

My Bugeye with a 1275 has been giving me a challenge lately.  Last year it
would die suddenly after driving for a while, and usually after sitting at
idle for a while and then pushing it hard.  I would sit for 5 minutes and
then it would start and run normally again.  It seems like it started after
I dropped the fuel tank to reseal the sender unit.  I had been having gas
leak around the sender if I filled the tank full.  I thought I had a non
vented gas cap, so I bought a new one. Still happening even if I leave the
cap off or loose.  I have an aftermarket Mr. Gasket electronic fuel pump
mounted just above the fuel tank in the axle tunnel.  I thought it might be
acting up, so I put in another one I had and got the same result.  I have a
glass fuel filter in the engine bay, and I can see that when I first start
and until it gets hot the filter is full of gas.  When it starts acting up,
I can see that the filter is empty.  I thought about vapor lock from heat in
the engine bay, so I insulated the fuel line from where it comes up from
under the car to nearly the carburetors, leaving the filter uncovered so I
can see.  It is still happening.  Does anyone have any idea what is going
on, and what I can do to stop it?  I used to have the fuel pump in the
engine bay instead of near the tank.  I thought having the fuel line
pressurized from the tank forward would decrease the likelihood of vapor
lock.  I don't remember having trouble with vapor lock when the pump was in
the engine bay.

Thanks for any help.

John O'Brien

'61 bugeye