[Spridgets] 1959 bugeye

David Ramsey dwramsey at att.net
Thu Apr 15 19:42:03 MDT 2010

Not sure you can get a Morrisservice kit right now. To use Paul A's oil seal
kit you will need to pull the crank shaft i.e. rebuild the engine.  The
Rivergate kit with the oil seal, or any other aftermarket kit, will only
work if your crank shaft is in good condition.  Worn bearings will need to
be replaced so if you're going to rebuild it anyway Paul's kit works fine
for the oil seal.  I would suggest that you use the Datsun clutch with
either kit, it is that much better. Should you go with Rivergate and ask for
no clutch they will only give you their cost for the clutch off the bill.
So really you still pay them their markup on the clutch you don't get. All
things considered I would go with Paul's kit.  As to your last question the
Vin number tells if it is right or left so why change it. Besides going for
a drive with a large dog in the passenger seat can be real fun in a RHD car.
It doesn't hurt the value of the car anyway, but changing it could.
		Crash

I have a 1959 bugeye sprite that has been painted and has a 1275cc
engine and a rebuilt 4 speed tranny.I am thinking about pulling the
motor and tranny and converting to a datsun 5 speed tranny.I would
like to drive the car daily for short distances(5 miles).Which is
better,morrisservice or rivergate? The other options are do nothing,or
use an aftermarket rear seal to stop oil leaks.Any suggestions?In
addition,the car is an original RHD.Would this hurt the resale of the
car and should I convert it to a LHD?