[Spridgets] Porsches and eBay, no Spridget content

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Sat Aug 7 14:48:53 MDT 2010

I had seen Dave's post, a while back, but didn't have time to respond.
Actually (and I've owned and driven Porsches for the past 46 years), "Porsh"
is not nor has it ever been a nick-name, like "Chevy".  "Porsh" is what the
newbie 912, then 914, then 924, then 944 & 968, then Boxster, now Cayenne
owners called Porsches before they knew what they had purchased (most of
them never DID learn how to pronounce it).  Back in the day (I'm talking
about the 50s and 60s), before Porsche became a yuppie status symbol, the
only people who recognized a Porsche were usually true sports car
enthusiasts and they knew how it was pronounced.  The rest of the public
usually thought they were some kind of Karmann-Ghia and didn't pay much
attention to them (how I yearn for those days.......).  So, basically, to
mis-pronounce Porsche is simply another way a yuppie demonstrates his
ignorance.  Some people think they are being anti-yuppie/anti-status
seeker/anti-new money by using "Porsh" instead of Porsche, when actually
they are simply flaunting their ignorance.  I've also noticed that we
Americans seem to like to shorten names to something as close as possible to
a sound they can make by grunting.
Am I offended by the mis-pronunciation?  Hell no.  It's not my name.  If you
want to flaunt your ignorance, I sure as hell am not going to try to stop
you ;)
I express my sentiments about the whole thing with a T shirt I have, which
says (in German)  "Porsche made cars after 1965?  Who gives a shit?"
Bud Osbourne