[Spridgets] Speaking of Harley Davidsons

rrengineer @dslextreme.com rrengineer at dslextreme.com
Wed Aug 11 01:55:37 MDT 2010

I made my initial post early this morning before I went to sleep.  Obviously
this thread has taken on a life of it's own.  I never said I rode Harleys to
get a thumbs up or give rides to little girls.  I said that is the by
product of riding one.  Hell, I don't even have a passenger seat on my
bike.  My wife won't even get on my bike and that's fine with me.  I just
enjoy the whole experience of riding 30s technology today.  I bought the
damn thing to be politically incorrect in a democrat controlled PC state.
That is why the first thing I did when I brought it home was to remove the
slip on factory mufflers with the exhaust choking catalytic converters in
them and put on fishtail expansion chamber straight through mufflers.  I set
off car alarms when I get on the throttle driving by parking lots.  Great
fun.  Starting the bike cold in the morning has been likened to starting up
an old biplane from the sound of the loping 45 degree V twin motor.  I have
to agree.  While I don't "carve" canyon roads with it, a ride in the local
mountains is great fun.  Southern California has many destinations of many
different landscapes to ride to. My biggest problem is trying to decide if I
want to take the Bugeye or the Harley.  I did not buy it to be cool.  I
bought it because I love everything about them including their quirks and
faults, just like my British car.  If I look cool on the bike, heck that's
just a bonus.  I am not concerned about the resale value.  If I want a
different model, I will just buy it and keep this one.  This bike is
something that will be passed on the my son if he wants it. I don't know how
to explain it, I just love the damn thing.  I can't explain to people why I
like Austin Healeys either, but I don't have to.  It's like they say, "if
you have to ask, I can't explain it to you".  And it's Do-Rag, I think.
Mike MacLean