[Spridgets] keep blowin' fuses....whassup?

John Innis jdinnis at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 18:31:53 MST 2010

Yep, you've got a short!  Start with a visual inspection of the
wiring.  I think all the circuits that run off that fuse are purple
wire.  Look for any splices or any wire that looks melted.  I have
seen a lot of cars where aftermarket stereos are connected to this
circuit for switched ignition power.  Do you have any DPO wiring in
the car?  Look behind the dash for anything that looks suspect.
Beyond that, basic process is to disconnect stuff till you figure out
where the short is.   Your approach will depend on how quickly the
fuse blows.  If it pops when the ignition is on, for a few minutes
(even with the motor off), without using any accessories like signals
or horn, then I'd suspect the fuel pump circuit.  If it only happens
when you are out driving, I'd start with the easy stuff like the turn
signals.  If all else fails, I have had some success, looking for
shorts in a dark garage.  I mean VERY dark.  Put a new fuse in, and
watch one particular area while someone turns the ignition on for you.
 If you are lucky, you'll see a spark when the short occurs.

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 6:44 PM, Edward Perez <eap2140 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Any ideas why I keep blowing the fuse that supports my instrument cluster?
 Tach, fuel, temp, signals, horn.  I've put a 20A in there and it only lasts
for a short time.  I've cleaned the contacts at the fuse box.  Thoughts?